RCW: Inside Women's Golf 3.30
Get a quick look inside your favorite Kansas Jayhawk programs each week with Rock Chalk Weekly’s Inside Sports pages. Notable statistics, quick hits and the top social media posts get every Jayhawk fan up-to-speed and ready for another week of thrilling competition.
Number BY THE NUMBERS
The Jayhawks fired 46 birdies over the course of the three-day Hawkeye-El Tigre Invitational.
- Kansas competed in the Hawkeye-El Tigre Invitational in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, April 2-4. It was KU’s first and only trip abroad during the 2016-17 season.
- The Jayhawks had two top-25 finishers: freshman Yi-Tsen Chou, who finished tied for 12th and sophomore Chomchana Phuchanbanchob, who finished 23rd.
- Chou’s 12th-place finish made it her second-consecutive event in which she was the top finisher for the Jayhawks. She finished tied for eighth at the LSU Tiger Golf Classic, March 24-26.
- Chou shot two0consecutive 2-over par 74s, followed by an even-par 72, with a team-high 12 birdies.
- As a team, Kansas finished in a tie for fifth out of 15 teams, the team’s best finish since it tied for second with Ohio State at the Westbrook Spring Invitational in Peoria, Arizona, February 26-27.
- Following round one, Chou and sophomore Ariadna Fonseca Diaz were tied for 11th place.
- Phuchanbanchob advanced 26 spots up the leaderboard, beginning round two in 36th place and ending the round in 10th.
- Phuchanbanchob’s second-round 70 was the low score for any of the Jayhawks during the three-day event.