RCW: Sport Spotlight 4.36 (Baseball)
— Kansas Baseball (@KUBaseball) May 23, 2018
A post shared by Kansas Baseball (@kubaseball) on Apr 8, 2018 at 10:52am PDT
2017-18 Season Highlights
- The Jayhawks finished with a record of 27-30 and an 8-15 mark in Big 12 play.
- Kansas posted a 20-11 clip in 31 games played at Hoglund Ballpark.
- KU won its first four weekend series of the season and eight on the year that included sweeps over Texas Southern (March 2-4) and then-No. 20 St. John’s (March 9-11).
- Sophomore righty Ryan Zeferjahn pitched the Sunday (March 4) game against the Tigers en route to earning Big 12 Pitcher of the Week honors after striking out a personal-best 14 batters.
- Head coach Ritch Price earned his 700th-career victory after a 17-3 thumping of then-No. 5 Texas Tech (April 8).
- The Jayhawks posted two walk-off home run wins against Morehead State (March 29 – Brendt Citta) and Oklahoma (May 17 – James Cosentino).
- Kansas upset Big 12 regular-season champion and then-No. 12 Texas to open up the Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City (May 23).
- A record 11 Jayhawks were named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team: Casey Douglas, Devin Foyle, Tanner Gragg, Jon Hander, Brandon Johnson, Benjamin Sems, Blake Shinkle, Gabriel Sotomayor, Owen Taylor, Jonah Ulane and Zeferjahn.
- Six KU players earned All-Big 12 honors: Zeferjahn (Second Team); and Cosentino, Ryan Cyr, Foyle, Jaxx Groshans and Zack Leban (Honorable Mention).
- Zeferjahn became the first pitcher to reach 100 strikeouts in a season since Ben Krauth in 2016.
- Foyle was named to the ABCA Midwest All-Region Second Team.
- Kansas finished the season with 46 home runs – the most since the 2009 season when the Jayhawks hit 61.
- Foyle hit 10 of those home runs, the most since 2013 when Alex DeLeon accomplished the same feat.
- Leban finished the season with the fourth-most saves (12) in a single year.
- Jackson Goddard was drafted in the third round of the MLB Draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks – third-highest pick in school history.
- Leban heard his name called in the draft by the Miami Marlins in the 12th round; Foyle was picked in the 17th round by the Oakland Athletics; and Citta was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 38th round.
- Zeferjahn earned an invitation to the USA Collegiate National Team – the first Jayhawk since 2009 (T.J. Walz).
- Kansas will represent the USA at the 2018 World University Baseball Championships in Chiaya City, Taiwan (July 6-15).