RCW: Sport Spotlight 4.36 (Women's Golf)
Here is the latest photo gallery on the practice facility. It is almost done! https://t.co/reYDUV0A3W
— Kansas Women’s Golf (@KUWomensGolf) January 25, 2018
A post shared by Kansas Women’s Golf (@kuwomensgolf) on Feb 1, 2018 at 3:32pm PST
2017-18 Season Highlights
- At the third event of the season, the Jayhawks won the Chip-N-Club Invitational with a score of 903. The victory was the first tournament win for Kansas since the Palmetto Intercollegiate in October 2013.
- KU shot the lowest 54-hole total of the season (889) at the MountainView Collegiate and recorded a top-5 finish.
- The Jayhawks finished in second place at the Marilynn Smith Invitational with a score of 898.
- Junior Ariadna Fonseca Diaz was named the 2018 Big 12 Women’s Golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year, the first in Kansas history.
- Fonseca Diaz also earned Academic All-Big 12 First Team honors along with Xinyun Yu, Yi-Tsen Chou, Victoria Chandra, Pitsinee Winyarat and Kallie Gonzales, while Chomchana Phuchanbanchob was named to the second team.
- Winyarat only competed in four events due to injury, but led the Jayhawks with a 75.00 scoring average. She was KU’s top finisher in the first two events, including a fifth-place effort at the Marilynn Smith Invitational.
- Sophomore Chou competed in all 10 events and ranked second in stroke average (75.70). She tied for fourth at the Chip-N-Club Invitational, her top finish on the season.
- Chandra, a junior, also collected a top-5 finish by tying Chou at the Chip-N-Club Invitational.
- Freshman Sera Tadokoro and sophomore Phuchanbanchob each carded a round in the 60s over the course of the season. Tadokoro was strong for the Jayhawks down the stretch tying for the team lead with three top-20 efforts. Her best was an eighth-place finish at the Chip-N-Club Invitational.
- Of her 24 rounds played, 21 of Tadokoro’s were counted by the Jayhawks (87.50 percent) which was the top percentage on the team. Tadokoro also led KU with five rounds at par or below.