No. 9 Volleyball Visits West Virginia Saturday
|No. 9 Kansas at West Virginia
Saturday, Nov. 21, 2015
2:30 p.m. CT
Notes Link Kansas Notes
No. 9 Kansas volleyball (23-2, 11-2 Big 12) travels to Morgantown, W.Va., on Saturday to face West Virginia (5-20, 0-12 Big 12). First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m. Central from WVU Coliseum.
Audio coverage of the action can be heard online at KUAthletics.com/radio or on KWOD-AM 1660 in Lawrence.
• KU-WVU SERIES: Kansas leads the all-time series with West Virginia, 9-0, including a 4-0 mark in Morgantown. The Jayhawks won the first meeting of the season on Oct. 3 in Lawrence, 3-0 (25-14, 25-18, 25-12).
• SENIOR DAY FIRST SERVE SET: First serve for Senior Day on Saturday, Nov. 28 against Texas Tech will be 12 p.m., Kansas Athletics announced on Monday. The start time was previously unannounced due to the pending announcement of the kickoff time for the KU football home game against K-State on the same day.
• SOLD OUT: Kansas has sold out 12 matches this season, including seven advance sellouts: K-State (9/23), Iowa State (10/10), Oklahoma (10/21), Baylor (10/31) Texas (11/9), TCU (11/14), and Texas Tech (11/28).
• TOP 10: Kansas moved up one spot to No. 9 in this week’s AVCA Coaches Poll. Kansas has been ranked in the top-25 for a program-record 11-consecutive weeks, including seven consecutive weeks in the top-10. KU reached program-high No. 7 ranking on Oct. 19. In the latest NCAA RPI rankings the Jayhawks received a season-high No. 5 ranking.
• PAYNE TRAIN ROLLING: Sophomore right-side hitter Kelsie Payne earned her third consecutive (fourth overall) Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week nod on Monday after leading all Big 12 players in offensive production last week with 5.5 kills per set and 5.8 points per set. Payne totaled 44 kills on a .395 hitting percentage against the Longhorns and Horned Frogs. Payne has four 20-kill performances in the last five matches, including two last week against No. 5 Texas and TCU. Payne is also the only player at the NCAA Division I level to rank top-50 in the nation in hitting percentage (25th) and kills per set (27th).
• GETTING IT DONE IN THE CLASSROOM, TOO: Six KU student-athletes were listed on the 2015 Academic All-Big 12 Volleyball Team, released on Tuesday. Included among the six Jayhawks recognized for academic achievement are five first-team honorees: junior Maggie Anderson (supply chain management), junior Tayler Soucie (exercise science/pre-medicine), junior Cassie Wait (finance), junior Janae Hall (media studies & design), and sophomore Madison Rigdon (exercise science). Sophomore Ainise Havilli (sport management) is listed on the second team.
• HIGH-OCTANE OFFENSE: KU is enjoying the best season in program history as one of the best offensive teams in the country. The Jayhawks rank top-5 in the nation in in kills per set (2nd), hitting percentage (3rd), and assists per set (2nd). Sophomore setter Ainise Havili leads the nation in assists per set while guiding an arsenal of three Jayhawks listed on the Big 12 kills per set and hitting percentage top-10 lists, respectively.
• 20-WIN SEASON: The 2015 Jayhawks are the fastest team in program history to reach 20 wins in a season (21 matches), edging 1991’s squad which reached 20 wins in 23 matches. Kansas has reached 20 wins in four-consecutive seasons and 15 seasons overall.
• WAIT MOVING UP: Junior libero Cassie Wait is steadily climbing KU’s career digs list. With 21 digs on Saturday against TCU, Wait moved into fifth-place on KU’s career digs list with 1,192. Earlier this season, Wait became the third-fastest Jayhawk to reach 1,000 career digs.