Kansas Postgame Notes
Oct. 9, 2004
Jayhawk Total Access Video Highlights
LAWRENCE, Kan. – Kansas 31, Kansas State 28
October 9, 2004
Kansas’ Win Over Kansas State…
…Is the Jayhawks’ first win against Kansas State since the 1992 season and snaps a streak of 11 straight wins by the Wildcats.
…Snaps a three-game losing streak for the Jayhawks.
…Makes the all-time series 62-35-5 in favor of Kansas.
…Is Mark Mangino’s first win as a head coach over Kansas State.
…Gives Mark Mangino his 11th career win as a head coach, making his overall record 11-20.
…Makes Kansas 528-522-58 all-time.
- Senior tight end Lyonel Anderson scored his first career touchdown, a two-yard reception in the first quarter.
- The Jayhawks’ TD in the first quarter was their first scored since the second stanza of the Texas Tech game on Sept. 25 (six quarters.)
- KU’s 7-0 lead on Kansas State marked its first lead against the Wildcats since a 3-0 first-quarter advantage on Nov. 9, 1996. The last time the Jayhawks scored a touchdown against K-State was Oct. 7, 2000, when Dylen Smith found the end zone on a five-yard run.
- The last time KU led Kansas State at halftime was on Oct. 10, 1992, when the Jayhawks took a 17-7 lead at the break. KU went on to win that game 31-7 in Lawrence.
- Sophomore Charles Gordon’s pick off in the first quarter marked his third of the season and of his career.
- In holding the Wildcats scoreless in the first quarter, the Jayhawks have now held five of six opponents this season scoreless. KU has outscored its opponents 51-5 in the opening stanza in 2004.
- Sophomore running back Jon Cornish had his first kick-off return and reception of his career tonight.
- Gordon’s 49-yard punt return in the third quarter marked his season-long.
- John Randle’s two touchdowns brought his total to seven on the season (four rushing, three receiving). Tonight’s performance was Randle’s third multiple-TD game of the season.
- Junior Jermial Ashley’s blocked field goal in the fourth quarter was the first by a Jayhawk since Kevin Kane blocked one at Texas A&M on Nov. 1, 2003.
- Junior Jason Swanson’s touchdown pass to Mark Simmons in the fourth quarter was his first career TD toss as a Jayhawk.
- With his TD catch in the fourth quarter, Simmons moved into a tie for fourth place on the KU All-Time Touchdown Receptions list (11). Also tied for fourth on that list is current Jayhawk Brandon Rideau.
- KU leads the Big 12 with 12 interceptions on the season, which includes Gordon’s pick-off tonight in the first quarter. The KU defense has recorded 12 total interceptions the last three seasons. In fact, the last time the Jayhawks had more than 12 in a season was in 1996.
- Kansas had 109 penalty yards tonight, marking the most since Sept. 9, 2001, when the Jayhawks were penalized with 106 at Colorado.
- In the series with Kansas State, KU’s 31 points tonight marked the most against the Wildcats since Oct. 10, 1992 (31 points). KU also won that game 31-7.
- Tonight marked KU’s second come-from-behind win of the season. Tulsa led KU 3-0 in the season-opener.
- Tonight’s crowd of 50,152 was the first Memorial Stadium sell-out of the season.