Kansas Claims Governor's Cup by Defeating K-State 31-28

Oct. 9, 2004

Final Stats | Quotes | Notes | Photo Gallery

Jayhawk Total Access Video Highlights

LAWRENCE, Kan. – The goal posts fell as the Kansas Jayhawks defeated the Kansas State Wildcats for the first time since 1992 Saturday night, with a 31-28 homecoming victory at Memorial Stadium.

An action packed second half kept the sold out crowd of 50,152 on the edge of their seats until the game’s final seconds.

The Jayhawks struck first on an Adam Barmann to Lyonel Anderson two-yard touchdown pass with 5:48 remaining in the first quarter. At the end of one quarter, the Jayhawks led 7-0. K-State’s scoreless first quarter marked the fifth time out of six games KU had not been scored upon in the first stanza.

Kansas State’s Joe Rheem connected on two field goals in the second quarter to narrow KU’s lead to 7-6 at halftime.

Kansas took a 10-6 lead on a 27-yard field goal by Johnny Beck at the 10:45 mark in the third quarter. After a Kansas State punt, KU pulled off one of the many amazing plays of the night with Barmann completing a pass to Brandon Rideau, who then pitched the ball to John Randle for a 24-yard hook-and-ladder touchdown. The Wildcats ended the third quarter with a two-yard touchdown run by quarterback Dylan Meier. The Jayhawks led 17-14 at the end of three periods.

K-State took its only lead of the game with 13:20 remaining in the fourth quarter, on a Meier to Tony Madison 86-yard touchdown strike.

KU junior Jason Swanson replaced Barmann at quarterback in the fourth quarter and hit Mark Simmons, who made an amazing one-handed catch for a 31-yard score that gave the Jayhawks the lead at 24-21. Randle later added his second touchdown of the game in with a gritty 43-yard run to make the score 31-21 in favor of KU.

K-State wasn’t finished and gave the Jayhawks one final scare. After a fourth and six, 51 yard Hail Mary connection from Meier to Yamon Figurs, Meier found Brian Casey for an eight-yard score to cut the KU lead to 31-28. KU sophomore Charles Gordon recovered K-State’s onside kick attempt as the Jayhawks ran out the clock and took possession of the Governors Cup for the first time in 12 seasons.

“I am proud of our kids, they stayed in there and fought. They played with poise the whole game. The defense played outstanding once again,” Kansas head coach Mark Mangino said.”

Kansas (3-3, 1-2 Big 12) will be idle next week and will return to action Oct. 23 at Oklahoma.